Sunday, April 12, 2009

WHY DOES IT LOOK SO EASY??

I look up at the title for this blog and "chuckle" to myself because I already know the answer but I'm not ready to to admit it, but know what the correct answer is. Sigh....

The reason for the title boils down to the fact that I just spent 8 hours watching David's DVD series on "Blending Techniques" and I understood "everything" he said and knew there was NO reason I couldn't do it too!!!!! Well, I jumped on my high horse (Hi Ho Silver!.... "Stool") this morning and started "blending away"!! YIKES!! Something was wrong, VERY wrong. It wasn't working............ bummer....... Not working at all like David's did on the DVD.

Well, I thought about it and realized that even though I watched the series, I didn't heed what he said. First off, what about the prep of my surface. NOPE, I didn't take that into account. WHY???? I was in too much of a hurry and tried to "skip" this most crucial step & just "get to the blending". It does not work. It did not work... I knew it wouldn't work...... but I'm lazy and thought I could "outfox the step". NOPE, the surface prep is critical to the outcome of the blending techniques. I feel silly admitting to all of this, but am in hopes it will help someone avert what I went through today.

And, above everything else, I also know the KEY to all of this is to practice, practice, practice. This I will continue to do and hopefully I will forgo any thoughts of "shortcuts" in the future so I can become the artist I know I truly am!
Marsha








1 comment:

Paul and Cathy said...

Marsha,

Been there, done that! You are so correct. Surface prep is critical. Keep at it and keep us posted.

Paul

Turning My Fraktur over to Andy Jones

Turning My Fraktur over to Andy Jones
Fraktur Donated to DAC

Snow in Tulsa

Snow in Tulsa
Looking out my hotel window.

Painting with Priscilla March 09

Painting with Priscilla March 09
some of the Basic II students with Priscilla & me helping.

Playing in the Snow in AZ clothes

Playing in the Snow in AZ clothes
Attempt at a snowman

Priscilla's Bug

Priscilla's Bug
My Transportation While in Tulsa